Italian Director Paolo Sorrentinopa0l0
Italian Film Director Paolo Sorrentino (photo: Wikipedia)
As proud fans of the cinematic work created by the talented film industry professionals in our native Italy, we’re beyond pleased that Paolo Sorrentino took home the trophy for Best Foreign Film at the 2014 Golden Globes this past Sunday for “The Great Beauty” (La Grande Bellezza), a gorgeous film depicting contemporary Rome starring Toni Servillo, a genius of the Italian big screen and one of Sorrentino’s frequent collaborators. “The Great Beauty” is short-listed for an Oscar and our fingers are crossed as we eagerly await the nomination announcement on January 16th.
If you haven’t had a chance to check out Sorrentino’s work and you’d like to add a movie or two of his to your Netflix cue, we’ve listed his films below. In the meantime, here’s the trailer for “The Great Beauty“….we encourage you to see it! Especially if you’re planning to visit Rome because if you watch it after a visit to the Eternal City, you’ll be pining to return immediately!
- The Great Beauty (La Grande Bellezza), 2013
- This Must be the Place, 2011 (His first English-langue film)
- Il Divo, 2008
- The Family Friend (L’Amico della Famiglia), 2006
- Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Sabato, Domenica and Lunedi‘), 2005 – TV Movie
- The Consequences of Love (Le Conseguenze dell’Amore), 2004
- One Man Up (Un’uomo in Piu), 2001