Districts of Venice: A Walk Through Castello & the Arsenale
This private tour takes in the Castello district of Venice, including the Arsenale. The tour includes a vaporetto trip to Palladio’s San Giorgio Maggiore.
- Make a short vaporetto ride to Palladio‘s famous domed church, San Giorgio Maggiore
- Admire a stupendous bird’s-eye view of the city from the vantage point of the church’s soaring brick Bell Tower
- Stroll through the quintessentially Venetian Castello neighborhood, where the streets are filled with small workshops and everywhere there’s laundry hanging to dry
- Enjoy another trip by vaporetto to the colossal Arsenale shipyard to see where Venice’s mighty flee was built
- Take a look inside the Museo Storico Navale
- Additional Information
- Request a quote
Private Castello and Arsenale Tour
This private half-day tour of Castello and the Arsenale tour in Venice offers an entertaining and informative look at the city’s illustrious maritime past. Starting at the Victor Emanuel Monument on the Riva degli Schiavoni, a short vaporetto ride across the Bacino di San Marco takes you to Palladio‘s domed church of San Giorgio Maggiore, which floats like a huge galleon on the waters of the lagoon. From the vantage point of its tall brick bell tower you will enjoy a stupendous bird’s eye view of the city. On a clear day, the craggy snow-covered peaks of the Dolomites can also be seen.
Back down on ground level, the tour continues with a relaxing walk through the Castello for a touch of authentic Venice! Castello is the largest and most populated of the city’s six sestieri, districts that were named in the 12th century. Linen hanging to dry outdoors, small workshops and typical inns characterize the neighborhood, providing a true sense of quintessential Venice. From here you will travel by vaporetto to the massive brick Arsenale, guarded by two friendly lions, where the war galleys and trading ships that made Venice the “Queen of the Seas” were built. Have a quick look into the Museo Storico Navale which houses a model of the famous Bucintoro, the doge’s ceremonial barge (Napoloen had the original destroyed).
English speaking licensed guide, Vaporetti rides
Request a quote
Fill in the form below and we will be in touch soon